Tuesday, October 17, 2006

 

I Hate Myself for Loving You

I'm glad my cold had me up at the crack of dawn today because old skool Roger was back in full effect! Looking charmingly sleepy in his mismatched jeans and shirt combo and sporting the distinctive bloat of someone who has dined exclusively on beer the night before, Clark was out on the street, in the dark, chatting up a street vendor named Samiul Noor about the upcoming "Vendy Awards" for which he, Clark, will be a judge (why is this not surprising). The Vendy Awards honor the best street cart food in the city and, though I think there's some kind of monetary award (missed that part), there's definitely an enormous silver trophy. How do I know this? Because Roger was clutching one like it was the Heisman while trying to get a good look at the spicy halal chicken that Noor, fresh-faced for that hour of the morning and confident he was going to take home the Vendy, was cooking up. I've heard from friends that street cart meat, specifically "chicken on a stick," is pure hangover magic so I'm thinking that Roger was hoping to score some to take away his pain (I'm speculating here but it kind of looked like he was hurting). The Vendy organizer (name forgotten) who Rog interviewed seemed less than amused to be hanging on the corner in the dark and actually tried to have a serious discussion about how this award brings recognition to the hardworking vendors throughout the city. It's definitely a hard job but it was total buffoonery to lecture on the socio-economic challenges facing vendors to a chubby guy holding a trophy drooling over a grill. When we finally cut to Pat K., Roger got a major attack of the giggles the likes of which I'm not sure I've ever seen or heard. In fact, Roger was laughing so hard that their schtick was overshadowed and I can't remember what the heck set him off. Maybe Roger thought he had discovered the loophole in his job: miss a day of work, return to a trophy and free food. The delusional giggles of a Tuesday morning in Roger-Land. Keep up the good work, my man.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?